Health Information Technology (CIP Code: 51.0707, 51.0710)Download Program Outline
Program Title: Health Information Technology
Completion Award: Technical Diploma
Contact Hours: 450
Outside Study Hours: 900
Semester Credits: 30 hours (including 3 semester credits of General Studies)
Program Duration: 60 weeks
Cost per Credit Hour: $249
Total Tuition: $7,470
Course Materials and Fees: $125
Total Course Materials and Fees: $1,250**
Total Cost of Program: $8,720 (including course materials and fees)
The Technical Diploma in Health Information Technology program prepares individuals to perform functions and processes in healthcare facilities related to the daily operations. The graduate will demonstrate the basic understanding of medical terminology, medical transcription, insurance billing and coding practices, general office duties, and customer service.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate should be able to:
- ✓ Understand medical terms related to common diseases and pathology by utilizing the learned foundations of medical word structure and abbreviations.
- ✓ Transcribe, proofread, and edit various forms of health related information including, but not limited to, correspondence, ambulatory reports, history and physical exams, operative reports, and discharge summaries utilizing standard formatting.
- ✓ Understand all types of insurance plans, filing guidelines, precertification and authorization procedures, and perform basic procedure and diagnostic coding for reimbursement.
- ✓ Perform general office duties relating to communication, supply and equipment maintenance, financial management, mail handling, and employment laws.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should possess the knowledge and skills required for employment as a Medical Office Assistant or focus on specialized entry-level positions such as Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Biller and Coder, or other similar positions within the healthcare field.
ACOT's program courses are designed in sequential order. Therefore, the student must complete the given course before progressing to the next course in the sequence.
In order for students to successfully complete their program, all required materials must be completed, submitted, and within the maximum program duration. Students who fail to complete the program at this level may appeal to the Director of Education for an extension.
Students must also complete the proctored Degree Exit Examination for this program to graduate.
Students can complete a course with a grade of "D" or 1.0, however, in order to meet SAP requirements and be able to graduate, the student has to have an overall average of "C" or (2.0 out of 4.0) for all courses and be able to complete all work required within 150% of the program duration or an additional year of the published length whichever is less.
* This course has a proctored final exam. Please refer to the Proctored Examination Policy and Procedure in the College Catalog or on the website at: www.acot.edu/policies.htm
** For a detailed breakdown and description of the course materials, please refer to Course Materials under the Student Services section of the catalog.
|Required Courses||Credit Hours|
|CIS-100||Information Technology and Distance Learning||3|
|CIS-110||Integrated Business Applications||3|
|HIT-100||Introduction to Healthcare||3*|
|HIT-110||Medical Terminology I||3|
|HIT-120||Medical Terminology II||3*|
|HIT-130||Medical Transcription/Editing I||3|
|HIT-140||Medical Transcription/Editing II||3|
|HIT-150||Understanding Health Insurance||3|
|HIT-160||Insurance Billing and Coding||3|
|General Courses||Credit Hours|
|GEC-100||Basic English and Communications
Course Materials: $125.00